THE MCMILLIAN LAW FIRM PROTECTING CAR ACCIDENT VICTIMS IN CHARLESTON, SC AND SUMMERVILLE, SC WITH PROFESSIONALISM AND COMPASSSION
In the aftermath of a car accident, it is important to protect yourself from others attempts to pin liability on you. It is important to never admit to anything and try an keep contacts with the other driver limited to an exchange of information and personal small talk. The preservation of your personal injury claim must begin immediately in the aftermath of your accident. Therefore, the only parties that you should be talking to in any detail following the accident are your insurance company and your personal injury attorney.
The ultimate authority on the handling of your personal injury claim is your personal injury attorney. I will be able to guide you through any pitfalls in the process of your claim and also prepare you for any request made by the insurance company.
In my professional experience as a personal injury attorney, I see people make the same mistakes repeatedly following car accidents. Its never the product of not being honest or trying to provide an accurate account. What I see happen is that car accident victims jump into the realm of translating facts and assumptions into conclusions. Once you cross the line from facts into conclusions, it is hard to put that cat back in the bag so to speak. My experience as a Charleston car accident attorney can be helpful in providing you the legal counsel you need to navigate your personal injury claim and come to a favorable outcome.
WHAT NO TO SAY TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT IN CHARLESTON:
- NEVER ADMIT FAULT!!
- This is a hard and fast rule! Even if you have a police report that makes a determination of fault, let the insurance company do their homework. Never admit fault! This will be an absolute killer of your claim.
- JUST THE FACTS PLEASE . . .
- Be candid and honest in your responses to any questions from law enforcement and insurance adjusters. However, just answer the questions asked. Do not stray into conclusions, or guesses, or assumptions about anything. Let the facts drive the investigation of the responding police officer. They are responsible for conclusions. Just state the facts!!
- SEEK MEDICAL TREATMENT AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING FOR YOUR PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY
- Your personal injury attorney will need a full and complete record of all medical treatments, all treating doctors, and all recommended followup treatments in order to properly compile your demand from the insurance company. I always ask clients to keep a journal as well of all doctor's office visits and treatments as well. A contemporaneous writing to document how you feel and what is being done medically to treat your condition.
- YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT A DOCTOR, SO DON'T USE MEDICAL TERMS LIKE "WHIPLASH"
- Insurance adjusters are always wary of people who try to "self-diagnose." They will operate from the perspective that even though you may be a victim, you will try to embellish your injuries to score a larger settlement. Insurance adjusters are always leery of people who throw around the terms like "whiplash" and "sore neck" and "stiff back." The adjusters will research your claim and will deny your claim if they think you are being dishonest. Let the medical conclusions of the doctors and the treatment records speak for themselves. It is always OK to describe your injuries and pain level, but again stay away from conclusions and assumptions.
THE MCMILLIAN LAW FIRM - CHARLESTON, SC AND SUMMERVILLE, SC CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Contact me at The McMillian Law Firm. Once you have obtained legal representation on your matter, the insurance company must cease direct contact and deal with your lawyer instead. Contact me as soon as possible so that I may conduct a site visit of the accident and begin to obtain witness statements, police reports, and all relevant materials I need to build your case towards an acceptable settlement or trial.
It is never too early to contact me! Each and every day is a day the insurance company will try and short-change your claim I am available for home visits, hospital visits, nights and weekends, just let me know what works for you.
If you have been involved in a car accident and live in Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, James Island, West Ashley, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, Walterboro, Folly Beach, or any of the other fine communities of the South Carolina Low Country, contact The McMillian Law Firm now!! 843-900-1306 or email at [email protected]